Kev's Musings

Friday, July 29, 2005

Its not me, its you. Or is it the other way around?

We've reached that part of the summer where numerous relationships seem to take a turn for the worst. It's a part of the dating cycle -- the way a lot of relationships start in the spring and many end between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think the "Summer Break," as I've started to call it, has something to do with the oppressively hot weather -- there's just nothing more replusive than someone touching you when its 90 degrees outside with 80 percent humidity.

Lately I've observed a number relationships falling victim to the "summer break," so I thought I'd try and give some helpful advice. Sorry guys, I stand by the fact that I know nothing about women, except for the fact that I think they tend to use more hair products on the whole than we do. I can, however, speculate about guys, a topic I'm confident I know slightly more about, although lately I've been finding that they amaze me in new ways every day (this realization usually is followed by the phrase, "he actually said that to you?" or "he really thought making out with your friend was a good way to get your attention?").

So here's a little lesson that my friend Jen recently came into as well, so I thought I'd share: ladies, the more you push us away, the more we like you. Yes, you heard me right. I'm not saying you should downright ignore us - we need to know you're interested, but you need to appeal to our hunter-gatherer roots. Show us some interest, then push us away. We love the thrill of the hunt, (some of us even more than others, but that's a whole 'nother column and probably several hours on a therapist's couch onto itself) and once we get a glimpse that you're going to be a pursuable challenge, we're all about accepting.

Case in point - I had a girl stalk me for about six weeks. Besides the fact that I was kind of involved with someone else at the time, not to mention slightly scared for my wellbeing when she constantly showed up everywhere I went, I wanted nothing to do with her. Of course the moment she moved on and started seeing someone else, I was all about her.

So what's the lesson? Show us you're interested, give us a hint we can get you, and then let us chase you. Trust me, it'll work.

And since I must have forwarded this quote at least six times already this week, I may as well post it online. It's for those ladies who may be dealing with guys who don't know how to send clear signals, won't commit to a relationship, or perhaps tell you something to the effect of "it's not the distance, but the proximity" that makes being together impossible (whatever the hell that means). It's yet another from the BBC's Coupling, when Susan breaks up with her boyfriend Steve:

“Men, and I don’t mean to generalize, are crap! They’re the human race’s only failed gender. Who needs them? And why are they so difficult to keep hold of? Do you think they realize, that not were it for the genetic imperative to populate the Earth, they wouldn’t get a date? That’s one hell of an inducement. No pressure girls but shag one of these or its curtains for all human kind. That’s harassment.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home