Kev's Musings

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

First learn walk, then learn fly

So after a pretty full/late day yesterday, I came home, and knowing that my brain was mush and that I wasn’t fit for human consumption, I decided to flip through the channels and see what was on TV. Then I came across it. It was calling me and I couldn’t resist. Like a fly drawn to a light, I had to watch the original Karate Kid. I sat there mesmerized, knowing it was so bad but yet, somehow, so good.

Things that shocked me watching the movie this many years later:

  • Ralph Macchio was 23 when he made the movie. He doesn’t look a day past 12.
  • Somebody actually chose the wardrobe for this movie - we’re not talking bad 80’s clothing, we’d just talking bad.
  • Someone actually wrote, and someone else actually approved, the dialogue in the movie.
  • I somehow remembered all of the words to the “you’re the best around” theme song.

And then there was something that both shocked and depressed me.

Elisabeth Shue is now 41 years old. Broke my heart. Somehow I expected her to be in her 20’s forever. In my 6-year-old mind, somehow, one day, the stars would align, and we would catch up to one another and be the same age. This may not seem like much to you all, but a dream dating back to 1984 died last night. Please take a moment of silence on my behalf.

Well, not wanting to end on a sad note, I’m including a link to a brilliant review of the Karate Kid series by Bill Simmons. This had me laughing so hard I was in tears: <http://espn.go.com/page2/movies/s/simmons/020830.html>. The review of Karate Kid III actually reminded me that I had in fact seen the movie and was merely repressing all memory of it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home