Kev's Musings

Monday, February 21, 2005

Type 2 drunk dialing

This weekend I discovered a new danger of combining alcohol and cell phones. No, I’m not talking about traditional drunk dialing, where you have a few and then decide to call/text message people. I’m referring to Accidental (or Type 2) Drunk Dialing – that’s where you go to drunk dial a friend or ex and, due to hitting the wrong speed-dial or misreading the phonebook, you call or text the completely wrong person.

Luckily, I got away somewhat unscathed in my Type 2 Drunk Dialing this weekend. I meant to sweetly tell a friend of mine from college, who lives in Maryland that a song we associate with one other was playing in the bar. Instead it went to my friend, who was standing less than five feet away from me. She now thinks I’m mildly retarded.

I also may have sent messages that make little or no sense to assorted friends, coworkers and uh, family members. It’s not a prideful moment when your mother calls you the next morning to ask what “swamp-water” is and why if she shows up, she can “keep the alligator.”

In what will only be an expensive mistake, meaning to text my sister in Australia, I ended up calling her. On a plus side, because of the time difference, it was 5:30 in the afternoon, so I don’t feel as bad.

A friend of mine didn’t get away quite as easily as I did. Meaning to tell off his recent ex, (always something good to do via text message at 3:00 AM after trying to drink all the alcohol in the bar) he may have, we’re still not sure, accidentally sent the choice words to his boss instead. I guess we’ll find out Tuesday morning if he still has a job. She still hasn’t written back yet, but if things don’t go well, he might become the first guy in history to be dumped AND fired by BlackBerry in a single weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home