Kev's Musings

Monday, February 14, 2005

Some musings on Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is one of my absolute favorite holidays. I’ve spent the past week or so conferring with my buddies in Hitch like fashion on their Valentine's Day plans, and running several ideas past emergency sessions of The Girl Council. I’m proud to say that my friends have some rather good ideas in store this year.

While I am a fan of Valentine’s Day*, I have to say, it can be quite the make-or-break inconvenience if you’ve just started dating someone before the holiday hits. Suddenly you’re forced to evaluate the relationship no matter what stage it might be at, to determine what you need to do for Valentine’s Day. Brand new relationship – maybe a future, maybe not – perhaps just send her a card. Been on a few dates, perhaps getting a little serious, maybe take her out for dinner? Gone out once or twice – you might scare her off if you admit the holiday even exists. Been together for quite some time? If you don’t do something that involves a fireworks display, dinner at the four seasons and a horse-drawn carriage ride through Central Park, you could be sleeping on the couch for awhile. Personally, I begin breaking a sweat if I don’t have a solid plan by New Year’s Day.

Women have it much better off around Valentine’s Day as we men have zero expectations whatsoever. We’re floored if we get so much as a “happy Valentine’s Day.” Send us a card, and we think you’re amazing. Send us flowers and we’ll be following you around like a little lost puppy for several months. A girl I was dated once gave me a watch for Valentine’s Day. I was in so much shock I lost the ability to speak, which was probably a good thing, because I most likely would have proposed.

*A friend of mine in college, who really got around, used to call it “VD”. We couldn’t help but snicker he would discuss his “plans for VD.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home