Kev's Musings

Monday, January 30, 2006

Some tips on flying

Recently I've been flying a lot. Now, I'm not a big fan of the whole experience, so I like to have a few drinks when I do. I hate that they charge you for alcoholic beverages in coach on domestic flights. You know you've gotten bad when the cost of flying in first, where drinks are free, is actually more cost-effective than buying drinks in coach. I've actually gone to pay the flight attendant for my drink, and instead given her my credit card to "just keep the tab open."

Here's a little tip for folks who may not fly as often -- if you have to fly somewhere that requires a layover (something that has been happening more frequently because the airlines have no sense of geography and seem to think it makes sense to fly from New York to Atlanta by way of Alaska) don't take the connecting flight that leaves shortly after your first flight arrives. Oh it may seem perfect on paper, but when your first flight doesn't take off on time (it won't) and you have to run from terminal A to terminal double-Q (you will), arriving just in time for the door to be closed in your face, it won't seem so perfect.

Instead, do what I do: never take a connecting flight that leaves within four hours of your arrival. This should give you plenty of time to find your gate, as well as the nearest airport bar, since your buzz from the first flight will no doubt be gone but the time your connection actually leaves the gate.

1 Comments:

  • Screw that. I hate sitting around airports for 4-5 hours at a time. I'd rather take my chances at having to run for 5 minutes and make that next connecting flight than sit around for an eternity. (Probaby explains why I hate big carry-on bags as well...)

    By Blogger Jen, at 9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home