Kev's Musings

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Dress for success: dinner with the parents

So the other night I was getting ready to meet my parents for dinner, and I thought to myself, “I should dress up – look nice – show my parents how well I’m doing living on my own.”

Then a realization hit me, I should do the exact opposite and look like I’m barely scraping by. I could make it a little social experiment and see if it increases offers of food, care packages or better yet, money. So I wore what may have been my nicest dress shirt 10 years ago. Now slightly too small, just a little ripped and noticeably stained, it made me look like I had found it in a dumpster.

A nice touch with the folks, when the meal was brought out, I said to my parents, “Wow, a whole meal of food. I haven’t had that since the last time I ate with you.”

Success! I left that night with two bags of groceries, some cleaning products for my apartment, and a gift certificate to Banana Republic. I’m going shopping tomorrow at a thrift store to see if I can find an even better outfit for the next time I eat with them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home