Kev's Musings

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Inverted Lent

Some of my friends have begun giving thing up for Lent. Personally, I've always kind of liked the idea, it's like a mini-New Years resolution. So, being that I'm not Catholic, I'm introducing Inverted Lent (in a Festivus-esq fashion).

What's Inverted Lent? Well, instead of giving something up, I'm adding something. That's right, I'm going to start doing something from now until Easter. Something that is difficult to do, as a challenge to myself.

I'm going to start flossing.

Yes, for my first Inverted Lent I'm going to start flossing. Sound easy? It's not. I hate flossing. I don't do it, I lie to my dentist about it (although I think he's starting to catch on...), I even boast about it when I don't have any cavities. But bottom line: I don't floss.

In the words of Mitch Hedberg, "people who smoke cigarettes, they say 'You don't know how hard it is to quit smoking.' Yes I do. It's as hard as it is to start flossing. 'You look gittery.' 'Yeah, I'm about to floss.'"

So I'm going to start flossing. Today. Until Easter. And if I seem a little on edge for the next few weeks, or my gums start bleeding, you'll know why.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • More in the spirit of Lent would be to start eating a new kind of food. I would recommend locusts.

    By Blogger Gorilla Bananas, at 9:49 AM  

  • Well, you should do BOTH...because locusts tend to get stuck in your teeth.

    By Blogger canadian sadie, at 6:26 PM  

  • you could have started your inverted lent in madrid . . . i believe you had numerous opportunities to eat bull testicles.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:02 AM  

  • unlike the others (who obviously have it out for you), i'm going to offer a siggestion to help with your flossing endeavors. get one of those reach flossers thingys. (yes, that's the technical term.) seriously, i have one and it's AMAZING! i literally sit on the couch and floss while watching tv. it's basically a plastic stick and with disposable flossers that you attach to the end. they glide right through your teeth and make it MUCH easier to floss without slobbering all over your hand.

    By Blogger Jen, at 1:34 PM  

  • And remember, you're not tense. You're just terribly, terribly alert.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:07 PM  

  • how's the inverted lent resolution going? i know how much you enjoy dental floss so this should be an easy one to keep!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:13 PM  

  • Thank you for providing such a valuable information and thanks for sharing this matter.

    By Anonymous janubia, at 2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home