Kev's Musings

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

The guy phase

On the development charts that detail the stages of life, I've realized there's a phase right after college that males go through that is always left out. Women, don't seem to go through it. It lasts from the early to mid (or sometimes late) 20's, where we haven't really grown up yet, often no longer live (and I use the term "live" loosely) with our parents and are of legal drinking age. I like to refer to it as the "guy" period.

The guy period is that bridge between manhood and boyhood. We've abandoned crooked posters on the walls for crooked pictures of works of art. We have full time jobs and careers, but haven't the slightest idea what we want to be doing in five years. It's that phase where we get together to go out, but still meet up first to play Nintendo. We know about, and may even be in, relationships with actual females, but let's face it, we have trouble giving plants the love and attention they need to survive. I'm proud to realize that I'm in my "late" guy phase, meaning that I haven't reached man, and still have a way to go, but I'm on the path. Some examples below:

Signs of man:
My bathroom has a color scheme and motif

Signs of guy:
That motif includes my autographed picture of Kathy Ireland

Signs of man:
I own an actual couch which I didn't find on the street

Signs of guy:
I own coffee table, which I did find on the street

Signs of man:
I passed my company's sexual harassment exam

Signs of guy:
I printed out the diploma, framed it and hung it over my bed

Signs of man:
I have pretty good knowledge of fine, imported European wines

Signs of guy:
It's surpassed my knowledge of cheap European beers

Signs of man:
I cook dinner 4-5 nights per week

Signs of guy:
I've yet to make a meal that uses my stove in place of my Foreman grill

Signs of man:
My refrigerator contains more than a bottle of ketchup, a six-pack of beer and half-eater container of Chinese food dating back to the Clinton administration

Signs of guy:
As of last night, my refrigerator contained only a bottle of ketchup, a six-pack of beer and half-eater container of Chinese food dating back to the Clinton administration

1 Comments:

  • Signs of guy: I love this post.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home