Kev's Musings

Monday, November 08, 2004

Silverman’s rules on dating #327

A friend of mine has recently entered that happy, blissful, wonderful stage of dating where he’s enamored with a girl he’s seeing. He’s not seeing anyone else, and he's pretty sure she isn't either. The only problem is that they haven’t had The Conversation.

So the other day he asked me, "if we’re walking down the street, and I bump into someone I know and need to introduce her, what do I call her?" This led to the creation of…

Silverman’s Rules on Dating #327: Never use titles unless you’re 100% certain.

I’m serious – 100% sure, none of this Ivory Soap 99.44% business. The damage can be irreparable. Imagine they’re walking down the street and bump into a friend of his, and he introduces her as, "this is my friend (name)..." and she thinks she’s his girlfriend. She’s heartbroken and bam, they're starting the relationship with hurt feelings, plus it prematurely forces The Conversation. Now let’s look at this from the other side – he introducers her as "this is my girlfriend (name)…" and she’s a bit commitment phobic. Suddenly the relationship takes 10 steps backwards -- do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home