Kev's Musings

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Is it a date or a job interview?

I’m often amazed at the similarities between job interviews and dating. I mean, isn’t dating really just a series of interviews where you’re looking to fill the position of “significant other”? For both you get a little dressed up, are on your best behavior and try and convince the person you’re with that really, you’re the best person to fill their opening (take that however you’d like). In the meanwhile, you’re listening to what they’re saying and thinking “hmmm, is this really the kind of operation I’m looking for? I mean, is this the right fit for me?

Sometimes I even get the lingo confused. Who hasn’t been on a job interview and thought “is this really a person I want to potentially see every day?” And, let’s be honest, who hasn’t listened to a date ramble on and thought “gee, is this organization really going to be financially sound – or even around – in five years?” And of course you’re pretending like you’re not having the same conversation with anyone else at the same time – or even have additional appointments set up for the next day.

Then of course there’s the post-meeting etiquette – the follow-up thank you/I had a good time, and the waiting around to see if they call or deciding if you want to call them. Your friends always want to know how it went. Was there a spark? And you think through your own answers and wonder, “did I come across as disinterested? Did I seem too eager? I wonder if they liked me.”

And if it went well, you get to do it all again, and think to yourself “oh yeah, and maybe this time they’ll want to make me an offer…”

Editor's disclaimer: Before I start getting frantic replies back and find myself in a bit of hot water, this edition of Kev's Musings is not an admission that I've been interviewing -- or dating for that matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home